Boost your health with a squeeze of this and a dash of that. Eating just one meal that contains capsaicin — the compound that gives hot sauce and chile peppers their heat — not only reduces levels of hunger-causing ghrelin but also raises GLP-1, an appetite-suppressing hormone, says new research in the European Journal of Nutrition. Other scientists found that people who drank capsaicin-spiced tomato juice before each meal over 2 days ingested 16 percent fewer calories than those who drank it plain.
Serving tip: Splash on tacos, brown rice, or low-fat tomato or lentil soup. Hot sauce also pairs well with citrus, adds Meyer. Top half a grapefruit with a few shakes, plus a teaspoon of brown sugar.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut your zucchini into a french fry shape.
2. Mix in your favorite seasonings.
Suggestion: Spices: salt, pepper, lemon/ garlic powder. Top off with olive oil, hot sauce and cheese.
3. Place in the oven for 18 – 25 minutes – if you prefer them crispier, keep them in longer.
Dip them in spicy ranch and voila!
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Recipe with Lime and Melted Mozzarella (Low-Carb, Gluten-Free) – Recipe at Kaylan’s Kitchen
Chicken flautas with spicy avocado sauce. Recipe at Heather Christo
Taco Cupcakes – Recipe at Tablespoon
Loaded Mexican Pizza – Recipe at Weary Chef
Mexican Street Corn – Recipe at Team Traeger
Chili Relleno Dip. Recipe at Dip Recipe Creations
Spicy Black Bean Empenadas. Recipe at Campbells
Crock Pot Margarita Chicken Dip. Recipe at Dip Recipe Creations
Cinco De Mayo is all about food, friends, family and celebrations! Take your dessert to the next level with these cinco de mayo inspired treats. Check out these sweet recipes that will have you licking the bowl!
Frozen Margarita Bars – Recipe at Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
Margarita Cookies With Salty Sweet Tequila Glaze. Recipe at Love From The Oven
Churro Chex Mix. Recipe at sweetcharlie.com
Oreo Taco Cookies. Recipe at Erica’s Sweet Tooth
Mexican Fried Ice Cream. Recipe at Life in the Lofthouse
and of course.. always make sure there are plenty of jello shots to go around….
Recipe at Brit & Co
Agua Fresca. These drinks are delicious and you make them with or without alcohol. Recipe at The Happier Home Maker
Strawberry Margarita Jello Shots. Ummm yes please! Recipe at Drinked In
In order to ease the blow of Tax Day, a slew of restaurant chains and retailers are serving up free, discounted foods and coupons on Wednesday April 15. But read carefully: There are some silly stipulations that you might have to follow in order to grab your free stuff. Enjoy!
HARD ROCK CAFE: Calling all karaoke enthusiasts. Sing for your supper and get a FREE Local Legendary Burger, specifically, an entire rock song (lyrics will be provided) onstage.
BOSTON MARKET: 2 for the price of 1 meals. On any items including a whole sandwich, salad bowl or other entree option.
ARBYS: FREE Jalpaeno hushpuppies (this is right up our alley).
PIZZA HUT: Pizza Hut has a gimmick where customers file a “P-2″ form and customers get a gift card in the amount of your “net pizza return.”
TAX DAY CHEAPIES 2015
These aren’t tax day freebies but they’re some great deals that are being offered on tax day, April 15.
- Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt – Fill your cup full of frozen yogurt for $4.15.
- Boston Market – Buy one individual meal and get one for free on April 15 at Boston Market.
- Sonic Drive-In – Every cheeseburger you buy on April 15 is half off.
- Schlotzsky’s – Get a free The Original small sandwich with the purchase of chips and a 32 oz. fountain drink. No coupon required.
- California Tortilla – Whisper the secret password “Taxes Shmaxes” at California Tortilla on Tax Day and you’ll get free chips and queso with any entree purchase.
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill – Get 15% off your entire meal through April 29 when you show this coupon.
- Sonny’s BBQ – Get half off a rib dinner on Tax Day.
- Beef O’ Brady’s – Visit a Beef O’ Brady’s on April 15th to get 15% off your entire bill.
- Bonefish Grill – Show this coupon to get $10 off your bill. It’s valid through April 20th.
- McDonalds – Buy one Big Mac or Quarter Pounder with Cheese on April 15th and get another for just one penny. This is valid at participating McDonalds locations only.
- IHOP – Get a short stack of pancakes on April 15th at participating IHOP locations for just $1.
- Bruegger’s Bagels – Big Bagel Bundle (baker’s dozen of bagels and two tubs of cream cheese) for only $10.40 with this coupon. Valid April 11 – 15.
- ESquared Hospitality – Get half off all alcoholic beverages at participating ESquared Hospitality locations on Wednesday, April 15th.
- Burger King – Use this coupon at participating locations to get one free Whopper when you buy one. It’s valid through April 19.
- Outback Steakhouse – Get 15% off your dinner check through May 3 with this coupon.
- Babies R Us – Save $8 on all Huggies and Pampers value boxes of diapers through April 30 by using this coupon.
- Cabela’s – Save up to 60% on online purchases at the Cabela’s Cyberwalk Sale through April 15.
- Justice – Use this coupon to save 40% on your entire purchase. It’s valid through April 16.
- Roybal Caribbean International – Valid through April 15, Royal Caribbean will pay for your fees, taxes, and port expenses when you book a cruise.
RETAILER TAX DAY DEALS
In addition to Tax Day food freebies and deals, GOBankingRates also found a number of offers from retailers. We found the most offers on apparel, as well as sports and outdoor gear, books, and office suppliers.
- Alloy: A RetailMeNot-exclusive code, AVDRMN, gets shoppers 15 percent to 30 percent off purchases, with shoppers saving more as they spend more. Offer valid through April 30.
- Ann Taylor: Get 25 percent off full-price items with the coupon code ANNT3BE, good through April 30.
- Babies”R”Us: Shoppers can use this coupon to get $8 off Pampers or Huggies value boxes of diapers, valid through April 30.
- Barnes & Noble: With taxes out of the way you might have time to catch up on your reading. If so, use coupon code X8W8L3A when shopping online to get 20 percent off a single item through May 1; exclusions apply.
- Bon-Ton: Use this coupon to get $25 off when spending $75 or more through April 30.
- Cabela’s: Shoppers can save online only during the Cyberwalk Sale, which has sporting gear and outdoor equipment marked down up to 60 percent through April 15.
- Carter’s: Get 25 percent off purchases of $40 and up with code OKSP1514.
- Dress Barn: Get 20 percent off a purchase by using promo code MMAR20 through April 21.
- Express: Use coupon code 9068 online or this coupon in store to get 15 percent off through April 30. Some exclusions apply.
- Finish Line: Through April 30, get $10 off purchases of $100 or more with coupon code APRIL10.
- Foot Locker: Get 10 percent off when spending $50 or more online when you use code LKS10AFD through April 30.
- Gap: Shoppers will get $25 of GapCash for every $50 spent through April 26 that can be redeemed May 13 through May 17.
- HydroMassage: You can get a free HydroMassage experience with this coupon, valid April 13 through April 17.
- Justice: Get 40 percent off an entire purchase through April 16 by presenting this coupon at checkout.
- L.L.Bean: Get a $10 gift card for every $50 spent through April 19.
- Lane Bryant: Save up to $75 with code APRILGCLB through April 22. Savings are tiered by purchase minimums; spending $75 yields a $25 discount, $150 gets you $50 off or $75 off $225.
When deviled eggs make a presence at a party, you bet they will be eaten! These recipes below are not your regular ol’ egg on egg. Rolled, dipped, stirred, spread with spice and delicious mouth watering additions like bacon and avocado – you may have to make more than a dozen! Enjoy…
Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs. Recipe at iamfoodblog.com
Delicious Loaded Deviled Eggs. Recipe at talesofarantingginger.com
Buffalo Chicken Deviled Eggs. Recipe at babble.com
Devilish Avocado Sriracha Devils Eggs. Recipe at cookincanuck.com
Avocado Deviled Eggs. Recipe at cakescottage.com
Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs. Recipe at closetcooking.com
Use this spice rub on vegetables, pork, chicken, fish.. anything you desire. It will add a rich, spicy coffee chipotle undertone that will make you lick every finger over and over until its gone.
You can purchase the Cattleman’s Q Coffee rub here – warning, this may take the place of your Starbucks.
SLOW COOKER CHEX MIX
Did you know that your favorite homemade Chex Mix recipe can be made in the slow cooker? Give it a try!
- 9 cups Chex cereal (I used equal parts corn, rice, and wheat Chex)
- 2 cups pretzels
- 1 cup Cheerios
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1/3 cup (6 Tablespoons) butter, melted and hot
- 1 Tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon (or more depending on your spicy preference) of your favorite chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
Add cereal, pretzels, cheerios and peanuts to the bowl of a slow cooker.
In a separate bowl, whisk together butter and seasoned salt, chili powder until the salt is dissolved. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce until combined.
Drizzle the sauce evenly over the top of the cereal mixture. Toss for about 1 minute, or until the mixture is evenly combined.
Cover and slow cook on low for 3 hours, stirring at the 1 hour, 2 hour and 2.5 hour marks so that the mixture does not burn. Then spread the mixture out onto a few baking sheets or parchment paper in an even layer until it cools to room temperature. Serve, or store in a sealed container for up to 3 weeks.
Original recipe and photos courtesy of Gimme Some Oven: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/slow-cooker-chex-mix-recipe/