This dish is so versatile, you could add more veggies, add beans or even change up the meat from beef to chicken, turkey, or even a meat substitute. It is fabulous in tacos and burritos, salad bowls- or even baked in a bell pepper! Of course, this is incredibly delicious on it’s own too. There is just something you can’t beat about a creamy, spicy and rich dish that you can make in under 40 minutes in just one pan!
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- green onions, to garnish
- In a large pan, brown beef.
- When beef is lightly browned, add diced onions and peppers.
- Cook until beef is fully cooked, onions and peppers are soft.
- Add can of tomatoes with green chili- no need to drain.
- Add salsa, rice, water and stock.
- Stir well to combine.
- Add in spices and mix, cover.
- Let simmer on low until rice is soft and liquid has cooked off.
- Top with cheese, stir in until it melts.
Recipe & photos courtesy of SweetCDesigns